Once you make an order, we agree on the delivery period as per your suggestion.

Down Payments

An order will require a 75% down payment and the remaining 25% on receiving of the order.

Rejected Flies

If the products is faulty on arrival, the customer must notify us within 3 days of receiving the product. The product must be returned in un-used condition. Once we receive the defect item, we will send you a new replacement of the item with free postage or revise the invoice to deduct the said item worth.


Hudson Nditsa,

Director, HadsFlies Co. Ltd